Interior Part 1



Since I'm waiting for a couple parts to arrive that are needed before paint, I decided to complete as much of the interior as possible now rather than sit around just waiting for UPS to show up.

Before the carpet could be installed I needed to install some insulation. The firewall had already been insulated prior to the installation of the plywood and wiring so at this point all that was needed was insulation for the floor. I used Fat Mat which is a butyl and foil insulation material made for automotive use. This is NOT the rubber foil backed stuff you find in Home Depot or Lowes. That is an asphalt product which is made for use in home construction as a roofing waterproofing material. Fat Mat looks the same but is a totally different material and unlike a lot of the "street rod" stuff it is pretty inexpensive. I think it only ran about $30 to do the entire floor. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the whole floor covered with this stuff but here is one before the last piece of carpet was installed.





Now, about the carpet. You could go to an automotive upholstery shop and pay through the nose for "automotive" carpet but I chose a different direction. I picked up two 5'x7' indoor/outdoor carpets from my local WalMart for about $20. These probably aren't as high quality as the expensive stuff but with the use this car will see they should last for at least 10 years or more.

You can cut this stuff with a carpet knife, heavy duty scissors, or box cutters but you do need to bind the edges or you face the possibility of it unraveling in the future. I was lucky as my wife volunteered to sew the binding for me so I didn't have to take it to an upholstery shop for that. Here is the carpet completely installed. Most of it was glued down except the large piece that sits just in front of the seat frame. This piece uses carpet tape to keep it in place. Don't sell carpet tape short as it is strong and will do the job in most cases.





Here you can see the binding a little closer. All that remains to be done in this pic is the shifter boot and emergency brake boot. We will make those a little later. Although the binding looks blue in this picture let me assure you it is as black as the carpet. The binding has a slight sheen to it which makes it look blue when photographed.





Here is a view which shows the carpet on the firewall and the pedal assemblies. Note the stereo box on the right.





With the carpet done it was time to install the seat and shifter. The shifter handle was an e-bay purchase and works well in this application. It is very similar to what was used back in the early '60s in full sized GM cars with bench seats. The seat is the center seat from an early '90s Chrysler mini van. I had it reupholstered in a style used a lot back in the day. The door panels will be done in the same red and black colors with similar pleats.







Now it was time to install the LaCarra steering wheel. I purchased this wheel about 4 years ago before I had decided on a "theme" for the car. Although LaCarra wheels weren't available back in the day, this is a decent representation of the banjo style steering wheels that were used by many hot rodders back then. Besides... I like it.





So now the majority of the interior is completed. I still need to install the rest of the seat belts as well as the E-brake and shifter boots, door panels and inside door and rear window trim. I will tackle all of these after I paint the body. Its mid August and I need to get the body painted before it starts to turn cooler as I purchased a high temp reducer and I don't want to waste it.







Check back often for more updates...






Back to
Project 32 Home Page